Tax-free weekend in Myrtle Beach
It’s time to get your shopping list ready
Shoppers, rejoice! One of the state’s best money-saving weekends is coming up and you do not want to miss it. South Carolina’s annual Tax-Free Weekend starts on August 5th and ends on August 8th. This holiday started in the spirit of closing out the summer and making the most of back-to-school shopping with the opportunity to get a variety of school supplies, clothing, shoes, dorm, home goods, and more, exempt from state and local taxes.
In past years, South Carolinians have saved between $2 million-$3 million through this holiday weekend. So whether you’re a parent shopping for your kids, a college student, or just seeking retail therapy, Tax-Free Weekend is the perfect time to shop guilt-free.
While this weekend offers us a variety of items to purchase tax-fee, there are certain products that are exempt. Common items that qualify for Tax-Free Weekend include, but are not limited to:
- Accessories such as hats, scarves, and handbags
- School supplies including, notebooks, pens, paper, backpacks, lunch boxes, and calculators
- Computers, printers, printer supplies, and computer software
- Bath linens, bed linens, bath rugs and mats, towels, shower curtains
- Wedding gowns (purchased, not rented)
- Graduation caps and gowns (purchased, not rented)
Common items that are not exempt from state and local taxes are any item that is rented or placed on layaway, furniture, computer parts, jewelry, housewares, sunglasses, toys, and sporting equipment.
Fortunately for our Myrtle Beach vacationers, there are numerous stores around the area that participate in this penny-saving event. We’ve compiled a list below of the Grand Strand’s top places to shop for Tax-Free Weekend:
North Myrtle Beach (Sales Tax 8%)
- Barefoot Landing: 4898 Hwy 17 South
- Coastal North Town Center: Starwatch Drive
Myrtle Beach (Sales Tax 9%)
- Coastal Grand Mall: 2000 Coastal Grand Circle
- Broadway at the Beach: 1325 Celebrity Circle
- The Market Common: 4017 Deville Street
- Tanger Outlets (two locations): 10835 Kings Road & 4635 Factory Stores Boulevard
Will you be in town for Tax-Free Weekend? Guests that book direct at Anderson Ocea nClub & Spa receive a special discount card that offers shoppers a variety of discounts at Myrtle Beach’s most popular shopping locations.